JULIA PYPER (PDF)
Enterprising reporter with experience covering complex subject matter for both professional and general audiences. Strategic thinker with the ability to produce in-depth news stories and meet tight deadlines. Adept at public speaking, working with digital media, collaborating with fellow journalists and building relationships with sources.
E&E Publishing, ClimateWire – Reporter, Washington D.C. | June 2011 – Present
- Write breaking news and feature stories on the science, business and politics of energy and environmental issues with a focus on clean technology and climate change.
- Cover natural disasters, breakthrough academic research, federal and state legislation, federal regulations and industry news in online media platforms for both general and professional audiences.
- Organize and co-author articles with peers; develop and maintain sources in government, private industry, non-profit organizations and research groups; public speaking and event moderation.
- Identify compelling analytical story series with accompanying multimedia material; pitch and conduct independent enterprise reporting projects, including in Israel, Greece, Germany and the Maldives.
- Produce syndicated content for major media outlets, including The New York Times and Scientific American.
Columbia Journalism Review – Freelance writer, Washington D.C. | Aug. 2011 – Jan. 2012
- Contributed to the News Frontier Database, a series of reported stories on digital media start-ups.
- Identified sources, researched and fact checked content and produced b-roll footage for numerous segments, including “Disaster in Japan” and “The ascent of Alex Honnold.”
- Received Broadcast Associate credits for “Wael Ghonim and Egypt’s New Age Revolution” and “The FBI’s Lin Devecchio and ‘The Grim Reaper.’”
The Upstream Journal – Contributing Writer, Montreal, Q.C. | June 2009 – Jan. 2011
- Published feature stories on human rights and social justice, including an exposé on orphanage corruption in Ghana and a Q&A on global issues with former Canadian Prime Minister, The Honorable Paul Martin.
- Contributed to Beauty section and special editions, including the 2007 Gift Guide and 2008 Shopping Guide.
- Organized, promoted and ran events and contests; prepared budgets and creative content for sales team.
The McGill Daily – Reporter, McGill University, Montreal, Q.C. | Jan. 2006 – May 2010
- Covered environmental issues, local politics and human-interest stories as a general reporter.
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, New York, N.Y. | May 2011
- Master of Science. Coursework included neighborhood beat reporting and web management for CityBeats.info, AP Daybook drills and multimedia storytelling. Reporting project on international media censorship, “Digital Freedom & Control,” published online by the World Policy Journal.
McGill University, Montreal, Q.C. | May 2010
- Bachelor of Arts, double major in English Literature and Political Science.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ACTIVITIES
Languages: French (working proficient).
Organizations: National Press Club, Washington Automotive Press Association, N Street Village women’s shelter, Columbia University Partnership for International Development (2011), Good Shepherd Orphanage (Ghana, 2009).
Multimedia/Web: Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, WordPress, fundamental CSS and Html coding and social media network applications (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+).
Activities: Avid traveler, equestrian, co-producer on a series of short documentary films.